Can you chew gum while fasting? If you have ever wondered this, we are here to help!
Does chewing gum break a fast? Can you chew any kind of gum while fasting? If you have every wondered the answers to these questions, we will break it all down in this article. Keep reading to learn more!
Thrive Market is an online grocery store that delivers healthy food to your door! When shopping on Thrive Market, you can filter by the diet you eat, like Paleo, Keto, etc. This filter will then show you all of the options that fit your specific way of eating! You can get a free gift and save 40% on your first Thrive Market order.
This post is all about can you chew gum while fasting.
Does Chewing Gum Break A Fast?
Chewing gum while fasting is not recommended. Dr. Jason Fung told POPSUGAR, “Sweeteners can certainly produce an insulin response, but generally for gum, the effect is so small that there is likely no problem from it. So yes, technically it does break the fast, but no, it usually doesn’t matter.”
However, the one issue with chewing gum while fasting, Dr. Fung added, is that “gum is usually not recommended because the act of chewing and the sweetness usually triggers salivation and hunger.” So for some, even if you chew sugarless gum, it might actually make fasting more challenging.
So yes, chewing gum breaks your fast. You should avoid chewing gum while fasting.
How To Keep Your Mouth Busy While Fasting
Kuchisabishii is a Japanese word for when you’re not hungry but you eat because your mouth is lonely. If you can relate, here are a few ways to keep your mouth busy while fasting.
- Drink water
- Sip on tea
- Drink warm water to switch it up
- Try sparkling/bubbly water
What Can I Consume While Fasting?
If you are following a clean fast, you can consume the following items when fasting:
- Water (unflavored, no added fruit)
- Black coffee
- Plain green tea or black tea
- Mineral water, unflavored sparkling water, seltzer water (with no added ingredients)
- Salt, electrolytes or minerals (unflavored, no additives)
- Medications as prescribed by your doctor
Intermittent Fasting Resources
- Intermittent Fasting Frequently Asked Questions
- The Best Intermittent Fasting Books
- How To Make Fasting Easier
- Best Electrolytes For Fasting
- Types Of Intermittent Fasting
- Best Intermittent Fasting Apps
- Intermittent Fasting Podcasts
- Best Teas For Fasting
- The Ultimate Guide To Intermittent Fasting
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I chew sugar-free gum while fasting?
This is going to be a judgement call on your end. In my opinion, chewing gum does not follow a clean fast, so I do not chew gum while fasting.
Hopefully, this post gave you some insight about chewing gum while fasting. Ultimately, you will need to decide what works best for you and your lifestyle!
This post was all about can you chew gum while fasting.
Related: Does Coffee Creamer Break A Fast?