50+ Non-Food Rewards For Weight Loss That You Need To Know
Celebrating any occasion or life event often means rewarding ourselves with food. While treating ourselves with food is okay once in a while, food rewards are not always beneficial if you are trying to lose weight.
When I first started to eat better and take care of my body, I noticed how much our society focuses on food. If we are celebrating or grieving, happy, sad, or angry – we eat and reward ourselves with food. When we meet up with friends, celebrate holidays, grieve the loss of a loved one – we fill ourselves with food.
The Science Behind Rewarding Ourselves
When we reward ourselves, our brains release a chemical called dopamine. Dopamine makes us feel good and happy.
As a result, you become more motivated and driven to do the task. You will also look forward to doing the task because it makes you feel good.
While it is important to reward yourself, not all rewards are created the same and you must choose the right rewards to create positive reinforcement.
Using the wrong rewards will not help you create better habits.
According to The Academic Support Officer on JMC’s Sydney campus, rewards can be a great incentive to keep you working towards your goals.
When your behavior is followed by a pleasant outcome, you are more likely to repeat the behavior. This is called positive reinforcement.
Connecting your hard work to rewards effectively not only gives you a mental break but also motivates you to want to do more of it.
Therefore, it is recommended to reward yourself to build your momentum and grow your habits.
Here is a list of 50+ non-food rewards for weight loss that you can use to treat yourself!
Note: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning if you click a link and make a purchase, I may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
50+ Non-Food Rewards For Weight Loss
- Spa day at home
- Take a bubble bath
- Read a book
- Color in a coloring book
- Go to the library
- Watch your favorite show on Netflix
- Get a massage
- Buy yourself a new outfit
- Get a pedicure
- Get your nails done
- Treat yourself to a hair blowout
- Listen to music
- Take a nap
- Sit outside in nature
- Go on a walk
- Get a facial
- Watch the sunrise or sunset
- Go stargazing
- Deep condition your hair
- Watch funny videos on YouTube
- Buy yourself a new piece of jewelry
- Try a new workout class
- Go for a hike
- Buy new shoes for working out
- Buy new headphones
- Treat yourself to a new water bottle
- Go to a movie
- Buy a new book
- Listen to a podcast
- Sit in a sauna
- Buy yourself flowers
- Sleep in
- Take a full-body picture to celebrate your progress
- Snuggle in bed and watch movies all-day
- Give yourself permission and time to take a nap
- Try out a meal prep delivery service
- Buy a small blender to make your own smoothies and protein shakes at home
- Plan a weekend getaway
- Go on a short staycation in your own city!
- Schedule a photoshoot with a local photographer to show off your progress
- Take a local class to learn a fun new skill
- Buy a fitness tracker to track your sleep and workouts
- Get yourself fitted for a nice pair of workout shoes
- Create a new playlist for your workouts
- Download and listen to a new podcast
- Buy some new sports bras
- Sign up to run or walk a 5k with a friend
- Splurge on a nice pair of leggings
- Take a day off work
- Try a new recipe
- Go see your favorite band in concert
- Treat yourself to a Thrive Market subscription! Get 25% off your first order and a FREE gift when you join Thrive Market!
There are plenty of ways that you can reward yourself without food! If you choose to reward yourself with food occasionally, that’s okay too! What are your favorite non-food rewards for weight loss? Leave a comment below and let me know!