Are you ready to start blogging, but don’t know where to start? I felt the same way when I got started. I wanted to learn how to start a blog and I wanted to learn to make money blogging but was overwhelmed to see all the information that was on the internet. Below I’ve outlined some simple steps to help you get started, based on my own personal experience.
Note: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning if you click a link and make a purchase, I may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
1. Choose your domain name.
I recommend using Bluehost. I have been blogging for the past 8 years across various sites. Some of you OG’s might remember my first blog, Beyond the Pasture! I have used Bluehost from the start and recommend them for many reasons! Here are just a few reasons why I choose Bluehost.
- 2 million+ use it and it comes recommended by many. Bluehost is the backbone of over 2 million websites. It is also recommended by WordPress and and by some of the best bloggers out there!
- One-click install. Yes- it’s just what it sounds like! You press a button and then you have a WordPress blog set up. How’s that for simple?!
- You’ll be self-hosted. Being self-hosted means YOU have control over your site and your content.
- You get a free domain name. This is address to your website. For example, mine is www.macymichelle.com.
- A free SSL certificate. You know that little lock that is next to the name of the website? That lock is an SSL certificate that tells viewers if your website is secure and if their info is safe! This is a MUST.
- 24/7 support. You can ask questions or get help anytime!
- 30 day money back guarantee. If you’re not happy with the service, you will get your money back!
- Super affordable. Bluehost is really reasonable! Hosting starts at just $3.95 per month.
The domain and hosting that I use is WordPress hosted by Bluehost. You can click here to purchase your domain name and then keep following the steps below!
HOW TO GET STARTED WITH BLUEHOST
Head over to Bluehost’s homepage, by clicking here. Then click “Get Started Now”
To get started, I would recommend the Basic Plan. In my opinion, there’s no need for anything more than the basic plan when you are just getting started.
After selecting the basic plan, you get to pick your domain name! Double check and then triple check that your domain name is spelled correctly before moving on.
With Bluehost, you get a free domain name if you buy 12 months of hosting. Score! If you decide to get the free domain, continue to the next step as you can buy your hosting and get the free domain all in one step.
When you are ready to create your blog, follow the steps below to buy hosting for your blog.
- Go to Bluehost and click the “Get Started Now” button.
- Click on the plan you are interested in.
- Enter your domain name you registered with earlier, or sign up for a new domain name here.
- Enter your personal and payment information.
- Next you will be asked to enter a password. Make sure it’s secure as this information is important.
2. Install WordPress on Bluehost.
This part is easy! Bluehost makes it very easy to create a WordPress blog and the best part- it’s FREE.
- After you create your password, Bluehost walks you through exactly what you need to do to get started with your blog.
- First, Bluehost will ask you to pick a theme. You can just pick a random one here or find one that you actually like. You can change it later so it’s not a big deal or just scroll to the bottom and skip this step. There are tons of free themes- so there’s no need to spend money on purchasing a theme at this point.
- Click on “Start Building”
- On the next screen, you can choose “Business” or “Personal” or, you can click “I don’t need help.”
3. Getting set up with a theme
A theme allows you to control the way your blog looks, without having to learn coding or design.
As I mentioned, there are many free options, so unless you are looking for something very specific, you certainly do not need to pay for a theme. You theme can always be changed, so as you play around, know that everything can be changed!
4: Start Blogging!
Yay! You started a blog and now it’s time to get blogging! I would recommend creating an “About” page, “Contact” page and any other pages that you think you need.
I hope these tips show you how to start a blog the easy way! If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me!
Are you already a blogging pro? What tips do you have for someone wanting to learn how to start a blog? Comment below with your suggestions!