THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE READ MY DISCLOSURE FOR MORE INFO.
Hi, my name is Macy and I shave my face.
Now, I’m not talking about the typical white shaving cream and Bic razor situation- we will still leave that to the guys.
Face shaving, also called dermaplaning, has SO many benefits. The primary purpose of dermaplaning is to get rid of the vellus hairs or peach fuzz on the face. Dermatologist Rosemarie Ingleton says dermaplaning “removes vellus hairs, but the blade also gets rid of a superficial layer of dead skin.”
Dermaplaning first became popular for models and celebrities as they are often photographed and photographed up close. You can choose to see a dermatologist or esthetician for dermaplaning- or you can dermaplane from the comfort of your own home!
Personally, I am currently trying to pay off my student-loans, so I would rather save money and dermaplane my own skin.
I have been dermaplaning my own face for the past 2 years. At first, I was super nervous to start dermaplaning because I thought my peach fuzz would grow back dark and thick. BUT that is a myth!!
Let’s dive into the deets!
How to shave your face
- Start with a clean, dry face. Wash your face normally and let it dry. You want your skin to be free of oils and excess moisture.
- Pull your hair back.
- Pull your skin tight and shave downward using short strokes. Hold the razor at a 45 degree angle.
- Moisturize when finished!
- Each razor can be used 2-3 times before tossing. Be sure to clean your razor thoroughly between uses!
Personally, I choose to shave my face once per week. Some ladies do it every couple weeks, some even do it multiple times per week. Just get started and see what works best for you!
What to use
I use Tinkle razors. These razors are available on Amazon and they are super cheap! There are a lot of other options out there- but I have had a great experience with these!
What to expect
- No, your hair will not grow back thick and dark!
- Expect to see a lot of dead skin coming off, in addition to peach fuzz.
- Expect your makeup to glide on so smoothly!
- I used to have to wax my upper lip- now I simply dermaplane that hair away! SCORE! It was the absolute worst to get an upper lip wax and walk around with a bright red mustache. *cringe*
Eliminating peach fuzz, dead skin cells and pollution buildup doesn’t only allow your makeup to go on smoothly- it also allows your skincare products to work more effectively! After dermaplaning, your skin will be extra receptive to anything you apply. Use this to your advantage! Hydrate your skin with moisturizer and serums. Also keep in mind that your skin will also be at more of a risk for sun exposure. Be sure to use a high-quality SPF and keep your skin protected!
Here is a YouTube tutorial that I found super helpful before the first time I shaved my face at home!
Have you ever tried dermaplaning?! Share your experience below!